Here in the Shenandoah Valley, many of us feel blessed to live in such glorious natural beauty. Shouldn’t there be a way that our area animals can also feel so blessed? Isn’t it time that hundreds and hundreds of domestic animals now being euthanised in the name of “space” have a chance to live and thrive in this same beauty? We think so.
We are String of Pearls a creation of five friends who believe that, together, we can make a difference. We know that many of you, too, agree with us, and many others are trying desperately to save these same lives — so join us.
In August of 2005, String of Pearls received its 501(c)(3) designation as a public charity and now we are asking you to help make our dream come true. You are the key to our success. Without your help, there will be no dream.
Pearls is a group of friends, all of whom had the same thought. There are too many animals being needlessly killed. If you agree, please feel free to join us as a member, donor, foster home, adopter, volunteer, or simply someone who helps “spread the word.”
It’s About Saving Lives…
String of Pearls was founded and is dedicated to:
- Providing a no-kill alternative to the problem of stray, homeless and deserted animals in the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding areas
- Insuring that a temporary refuge is provided for stray, homeless and deserted animals
- Working to select adoptable animals and re-train them to be adopted by new owners, according to approved standards and guidelines established by the SOP Board of Directors
- Accepting animals into a sanctuary arrangement whereby selected animals may live out their lives in peace and dignity
- Providing to the public a low cost spay/neuter program to reduce the number of unwanted animals
- Providing emergency rescue service for injured or distressed animals
- Educating and informing both children and adults about responsible pet ownership and increasing public awareness of animal rights through such activities as, but not limited to:
- Visiting pet programs
- Speakers’ bureau
- Humane education workshops
- Press releases
- Raising funds by any practical means, to support SOP’s programs, increase public awareness and participation
String of Pearls operates three distinct and separate programs:
Here we strive to place good animals who face a critical juncture in their lives in new homes. We serve as a clearinghouse of animals to adopt and any animal accepted as a “Pearl” is followed by Pearls for life. Should any adopted animal face euthanasia or homelessness again in its lifetime, Pearls will commit to seeing that it is rehomed or sent to sanctuary for life.
This is the Pearls Promise.
For all animals, designated “sanctuary” spots are available. Sanctuary provides the animal with care and love until the end of its life. Pearls has both small and large animal sanctuary slots, and is actively looking for homes that would like to perform this important function.
String of Pearls endeavors to take the lead in providing public education and information about spay/neuter resources in Virginia, as well as about appropriate care of animals and other useful pet owner tips. Pearls provides a quarterly newsletter,”Pearls of Wisdom”, in which these educational concepts are also disseminated. Pearls also offers seminars and workshops on all aspects of pet care.